The following guidelines for retail stores was issued on April 2, 2020 for retail stores by the Bartholomew County Health Department.
- Adjust store layout to enable shoppers to stay 6 feet apart at all times.
- Utilize employees to “direct traffic” so shoppers don’t congregate in produce, meat, dairy and other aisles.
- Consider making aisles one-way.
- Reduce the height of or eliminate in-aisle, point-of-purchase displays so shoppers don’t inadvertently bump into each other.
- Consider limiting the number of people in store at one time:
– Establish a shopper maximum appropriate for your store.
– Monitor entrances & exits.
- Mitigate virus transmission between shoppers & employees. Consider implementing the following best practices:
– Employees wear masks & gloves
– Implement daily deep cleaning
– Implement shift start & end temperature check protocols
– Install protective panels at checkout and pharmacy counters
- Consider selling only essential items for the next two weeks.
- Consider offering separate shopping times to at-risk or elderly customers.